Arizona’s desert landscape and mild winter climate make it a top destination for golfers from across the country. For 6-7 months out of the year, rain and cold temperatures are limited which make it golfing heaven. The incredible weather still has its downfalls as allergies can be challenging causing many golfers frustration as they battle congestion, sneezing, sinus headaches and watery eyes. With these symptoms it makes it impossible to get in “The Zone”. “The Zone” is the time while playing a game or committing a task where everything is clicking in a perfect way. Your performance is at a peak and you are in complete enjoyment of the moment.
Mike Edger informs us that when golfers are playing in “The Zone”, they are composed, in control, confident and focused. (1) Professional golfers know the importance of the mental component of playing the game. In fact, Bobby Jones states that “Golf is a game that is played on a 5-inch course – the distance between your ears”. Jim Flick tells us that “Golf is 90% mental and the other 10% is mental too”. (2)
Golfing requires a routine every time you approach the ball. Your stance, body alignment, club, aim, grip, swing, and your follow through are all essential to achieve that ultimate shot. Players will spend years trying to master their game. Once they reach a comfortable level, the goal is to “fine tune” their game. Maybe a better driver or spending more time on the putting green but how about getting your allergies under better control?
When allergy season arrives, the pollen counts start to climb but you may feel well playing for hours outdoors without any need for medication. But just wait. As time passes and pollen counts climb, you will continue to be exposed. Since allergies will add inflammation to your nasal cavity, it will not be long until allergies start to cause sneezing, watery eyes, nasal obstruction and drainage. These symptoms alone will affect your game, but they also reduce quality of sleep. Once that occurs, “brain fog” may set in.
Allergy medications are available over the counter and if taken prior to your peak allergy symptoms arrive, you may sail through the allergy season without any problems. A comprehensive allergy test is often recommended so we can identify which allergens are causing your problems and then better discuss avoidance techniques. Finally, allergy immunotherapy can be initiated for those with allergy triggers that the patient just cannot avoid. Allergy Immunotherapy (drops) are also great for patients with allergy induced disease states and for those who are not responding to over-the-counter medication.
At Sinus and Allergy Wellness Center, we honor our patient’s time and make the most out of their first appointment with us. We preform an extensive examination and walk through your routine to put together a unique treatment plan for you so that you find lasting relief from your allergies. We understand how important activities such as golf can be and do everything we can to make sure you can can experience them without suffering. Golf should not be an exception!
Arnold Palmer stated, “Success in golf depends less on strength of body than upon strength of mind”. (2) Eliminate the potential allergy link to poor golf outings. Move out of the fog and into “The Zone”!
We take pride in offering quality, state-of-the-art treatment solutions for sinus and nasal problems, allergy testing and treatment, ear infections, snoring, and sleep apnea, and are staffed by qualified ENT providers.